If you've ever...

Lived in London. Visited London. Travelled the World. Lived in Australia. Visited Australia. Even longed to live in either lands. Fell in love. Nursed a broken heart. Tried to make sense of your 20s. Or if you enjoy an entertaining read, then this content has your name all over it! 

Friday, January 22, 2010

Battling the Australian Summer

I'm in the middle of my first Australian summer in three years, and today it dawned on me, I'm struggling with reclimatising.

I thought I was coping fine. But, actually I'm not.

I forgot just how uncomfortable summer nights are when you're trying to fall asleep. I would keep my window open, but as my obsession for Dexter keeps me up late at night, I get paranoid that killers could be mere footsteps away hovering by my window, watching me asleep. So instead a plastic and very un-serial-killer-like fan oscillates in the corner, staring blankly as I drift off asleep, duvet out of sight.

Today I changed my method and carried a one litre tub of mango gelato around the house with me, and so far it seems to be doing the trick. I'm cooled. And i'm buzzing from a sugar rush. But as this is counter productive to my shedding of the Heathrow injection, I will consider this a today-only occurrence.

Even my usual icy, cold-as-death hands have taken to being warm-like - how unusual.

So, is it wrong that I am now secretly hoping winter (read: a lovely, mild Brisbane winter) marches along sooner than later? I even thought of coats, scarves and hats today. My Brit mates stuck in the middle of England's long, dark, cold winter would slap me for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment