If you've ever...

Lived in London. Visited London. Travelled the World. Lived in Australia. Visited Australia. Even longed to live in either lands. Fell in love. Nursed a broken heart. Tried to make sense of your 20s. Or if you enjoy an entertaining read, then this content has your name all over it! 

Monday, January 25, 2010

Lamingtons are at the Ready!


I had never baked a lamington in my life until I moved to London. Australians look at a lamington the same way the English look at a packet of Digestives. And like a Digestive, a cup of tea is the perfect partner for this coconutty-chocolately Aussie creation.

So, it's with some embarrassment that I first donned the apron and met with my inner Nigella at age 25 in my south London house on 26th January - Australia Day. You'd think I'd been whipping up a lamington storm since I was a kid, given how excited I get about them (I too blame my 'child-like Gemini enthusasim' for sheer excitement over banal things like that). But, instead, I'd indulge my penchant for this Aussie icon at lamington drives (bless the grandmas for their baking), which far beats a tray of lamington fingers from Woolies. I think any Aussie would agree with me there.

On the eve of Australia Day 2010, I have sheepishly already devoured two massive Julia-made lamingtons, and I'm proud to report they taste incredible. So instead of feasting on lamingtons for breakfast and hitting the Slug in Fulham or Gigalum in Clapham South to join forces with fellow Aussies in London, tomorrow I shall be embracing our day the authentic way - at the beach, basking in 34 degree heat. A bit different to chanting 'The Voice' while slushing around in ankle-deep snakebite at an Aussie pub in London!

But what I love about Australia Day, is that no matter where you are in the world, there's a part of you that wants to bring out the patriotic side that often lays dormant those other 364-odd days a year. So for the first time in three years, it's back to the beach, Triple J's Hottest 100, the aroma of snags on the barbie wafting through the air and a Toohey's Extra Dry to cool down from the intense summer heat. Happy Australia Day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Found you through Expat-Blog, love your posts. Hope you're settling back in to Aussie life. We're sort of your opposite, Brits who left London a couple of years ago and moved to Auckland. I'm going to add you to my blogroll, not that I have that many readers yet as I am new to blogging. Cheers Peregrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Australian Visa Advice - advice and information for Tourist Visa, Fiancé Visa or Spouse Visa applications for Australia. Save yourself thousands of dollars and do the visa application yourself. Go to Australian Visa Advice to find out how.

    ReplyDelete