If you've ever...

Lived in London. Visited London. Travelled the World. Lived in Australia. Visited Australia. Even longed to live in either lands. Fell in love. Nursed a broken heart. Tried to make sense of your 20s. Or if you enjoy an entertaining read, then this content has your name all over it! 

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Those three little words

I said it. Three little words that packed a punch. Caused a stir. A reaction.

Today I was pulled up for saying "Brisbane is slow".

And I don't think it's an unfair or dishonest suggestion. But I found myself having to justify it anyway.

In full context, I was referring to my settling in period of returning home to Brisbane, Australia after years abroad in London. And the first stumbling block of my transition period was in fact the re-adjusting to the Brisbane pace of life.

When you're a Brisbanite who does not venture further north than the Sunshine Coast or further south than the Gold Coast, the pace seems, well ... normal. The city seems big. After living in the Whitsundays for a couple of years, I thought of Brisbane as the biggest of smokes!

But after living in London for a couple of years, Brisbane is the tiny smoke trail left after a single candle is blown out.

But returning to my comment, it really is a challenge to put those brakes on the London mentality that's been etched within my psyche. Walk slower. Relax. Take it easy. De-stress. Life/work can be balanced (at last!). Life needn't be go-go-go to feel accomplished.

Slowing it down, while a hurdle at first, has now been a blessing in the allowing for more time to assess what is really important in life.

It's not always about the job status, the at-least-one-social-event-every-night-of-the-week calendar, or the anxiety that sets in, if heaven forbid, you're home alone in London on a Saturday night.

It's about what makes you feel content when you wake in the morning. What makes you genuinely shine. And for the moment, I'm finding this beautiful bright light within my life-long Brisbane friends and amazing family whilst slowing my pace down. It's giving me time to smell the roses and realise that it's time I actually embraced the beauty of it.

2 comments:

  1. I just have to say, I traveled to Australia by myself a few years ago, and it was the most incredible experience ever. I fell in love with Brisbane (and I'm sure you hear that all the time and it seems so odd because it's your home and it doesn't seem that great [I can't stand where I'm from and a ton of people tell me they love it there] but I really loved it there). I would have moved in a heartbeat, but I couldn't figure the visa situation out.... Still... I kind of love Brisbane! I'm pretty sure I feel about it how you feel about London... Go figure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool insight. I'm American, but have been in Australia for over a year now, and I always laughed when people said Sydney was so busy and rushed. What? I can imagine the shock of going back to Brisbane! But, it is nice to move slow. :)

    ReplyDelete